Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My sweet Lulu is at the Bridge

Lulu's leg continued to be flaccid this morning.  I was up with her most of the night last night and I finally gave her a tramadol to help her with her obvious pain.  She got a few hours sleep as did I. 
Vet today at 11:30am.  I knew I couldn't get her down the steps by myself, and so I asked a neighbor to give me a hand.  What a blessing that hand turned out to be. 
I went and gassed up the truck and then Heather knocked at my door.  She had a beautiful gift bag for me because she felt so terrible that I was having problems with my Lulu.
Heather carried her to the car and got her settled in the back.  Then we climbed in and made the 45 minute trek to Benson to the vet.  We got there about 20 minutes early so we sat and talked.  Lulu was actually very calm in the back of my truck (SUV actually, but out here it's called a truck!!) and rode quietly all the way. 
We got her out and she refused to even try to stand so Heather carried her into the vet's office and then into the exam room.  Lulu just collapsed on the floor when we set her down.  But honestly she was very calm and very much the lady. 
Without lots of tests and such, it was her back, most likely some kind of blockage in her spinal system/back.  Her flaccid leg had no feeling in it and just hung, and dragged the floor when she moved around here at home.
I said goodbye to my girl and loved her and told her what a wonderful girl she was as she slipped away.   My heart was breaking, I've done this so much, you'd think I'd get used to it, but it hurts just as bad every single time I go through it.  I have some pictures of Lulu to share.  I miss her so very much.

 Lulu appeared comfy in the truck and rode like the champ she was.
 Lulu in the back of my truck.

 Look at that beautiful white face of hers...
 The pictures above are Lulu at the vets.  My precious blue baby girl.
Good bye my precious girl, I will miss you forever.

 Heather, my friend who went with me to the vets and then to Walmart and then
out for lunch.
This is where we had lunch.  I just love their food. 

When I got home, Sugar ran out looking for Lulu and seemed very upset when she wasn't with me.  Rudy was wanting out of his crate.  Sug went back into the closet in the bedroom and I didn't see hide nor hair of her until I called her for dinner. 
Dinner time was hard, I only had to fix 2 bowls.  They ate, and then after Sug went outside, she ran in and ran to where Lulu's bowl usually was and looked for it so she might scarff some leftovers pieces of rice or dog food down.  She looked at me and then went back to her closet.  I feel so bad for her.  
Rudy on the other hand seems fine. But he's not terribly close to either dog, but I know he knows Lulu is gone, he ran to the bed she usually slept in and sniffed all around.  But then he's a pup and he was more interested in getting outside to potty. 

God is good and we'll all be fine here.  Have a great 'rest of the week'  and God Bless,  Anne

1 comment:

QuiltSwissy said...

It is funny you should mention the bowls. For weeks after i lost Dutch, I would fix their dinner and cry because I only had the two bowls. I had only Chloe and DiNozzo then.

It was the bowls at dinner that got me every time. I, too, have done this too many times. But you and I are so lucky that they live such long and healthy lives because we are such a good dog mommas.