Friday, June 15, 2012

Good morning and yep, it's still morning here!

I got up too early again today.  And for the second day in a row, I've been drinking hot coffee on a hot morning.  I must really need that caffeine boost! 

Today I'm thinking about thread.  Something that's pretty simple and easy...????!!!  Or not.  I use a lot of thread in this house.  I generally use plain white thread to put a quilt together with, and all of my quilts are machine pieced.  I find that white works best on light and dark fabrics.  If I have to rip out a seam, I don't want it to be dark thread, because if it's on dark fabric, I just can't see the stitches very well to rip out the thread... but white on white is easy for me to see.  Go figure!
Anyhow, when I was young, we ran to K-Mart or Woolworth's to grab thread, and I never thought much about it, but back in the dark ages, I think all thread was created pretty much equal.  I don't remember even talking about thread in Home Ec class, it just was what it was.
But NOW I think a lot about thread, and I have bought a LOT of thread in my day.  But the brands that I keep coming back to for sewing is Gutterman and Mettler.  Both threads are made in Germany and both threads are great thread.  And they have less lint that other cheaper threads.


In the picture, that's the big black spool of Gutterman on the left, then the far right spool of Mettler.  Both spools say very plainly German Made or Made in Germany.  They are a bit more expensive than other threads and they both have MANY colors of threads and different types of threads.  But I tend to use the poly for everything, including quilting.

That center spool is Robison-Anton sewing thread.  I love Robison-Anton thread and their sewing thread is great.  I snagged a bunch of black and white spools on sale, and I don't regret it at all. 

For regular sewing, I have just never found threads that could bet these three above and I just don't even want to go through trying to find one that works as well as these do!  More expensive, yes, but GREAT thread!

 Then there is embroidery thread.  My Bernina is an embroidery machine as well as a sewing machine.  I have tried a ton of different kinds of embroidery thread.  My VERY VERY favorite is Robison-Anton, but it's pricy.  But if you want a good strong metallic, go with the RA, it's the best in my book.  That purple is RA.  Love it!  The center thread is ARC and it's great thread as well.  Love it.  The one on the left is TreaDelighT and my machine doesn't like it so well and it breaks on a regular basis.  I have probably 25 colors and haven't used many of them.
 Thread on the left is Signature and I like it a lot.  Good trilobal poly.  The one in the center is Superior Metallic and I like that a lot too.  They have the variegated metallic thread and it works well in my machine.  The purple is glitter thread by Superior Threads.  Love that stuff!  It is a tad temperamental but a lot of fun to use in designs. 
 The green is YLI Kaleidoscope thread, actually holographic thread and a lot of fun to use!  The center thread is Madeira Thread, and it's ok, I have a ton of these little spools.
The black thread on the right is Janome Thread, and I LOVE it, but it's pricey and I'm, unfortunately, not made of money.  :)




And this is what I use for ordinary embroidering.  It's an off brand and I got hundreds of spools for a great price.  I think the gal sells it on Ebay.  For inexpensive thread, it's great to use, doesn't break often and holds up well and comes in a bazillion colors. 
I know that there are others that I have and have tired that don't work so well.  There is one place in Texas who sells on Ebay and my Bernina HATES HATES HATES that thread. I stitched out one small design and my thread broke like 60 times and I gave up!
Floriani makes GREAT thread too, but again it's not cheap! Isocord is what my Bernina shop used to sell, pricey again, but great thread.  :)

This is where I buy a lot of my thread,  Red Rock Threads, and if she sells it, it's most likely great thread!

And don't forget, when it comes to Embroidery Thread, your machine might not like what my machine loves!  There are some of the cheaper brands (that will remain nameless) that will NOT work on my machine and might work great on yours.  But honestly, if you want the safest bet, buy a brand name that is a bit more expensive, it's usually worth it, and you usually get what you pay for with thread!  :)   That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

No comments: