Friday, November 11, 2011

Good Morning!!

It was 40 out this morning, a HEAT WAVE!!  It is so much nicer, amazing what a difference 10 degrees can make.  I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee and it's so good.  I have a really wonderful coffee maker that I picked up at a garage sale for 5$.  It's made by (or at least has their name on it) by Gevalia.  It's got a thermal carafe that I just love!  Really, the coffee I made yesterday morning is still warm this morning and it was COLD in here last night!  In the summer, the coffee is still hot enough to drink without heating it up on the second day.
This machine is old and it's seen better days and HORRORS... they don't have them anymore! I don't know a thing about their coffee, never bought it, but I'd buy it just to get another coffee maker like this one!  Oh well, such is life I suppose.
Yesterday I actually was able to get some quilting done here at home.  Not a lot, but here's a picture.


I've never actually made a 9patch quilt before.  But this is going to be a baby quilt.  I intend to put 3" white borders on the two sides, then a small 1.5" blue border and then a 2.5" yellow border and then bind it in blue.  I think it will be cute.  

Here's the back of one of the blocks.  I love to have them neat and pretty!  


And here's the two bags of selvages I've been saving for those who love to do things with selvages.  I figure I'll do a drawing for them in a few months.  There's a LOT of them in there and I have a ton more material that still has the selvages on them!  Should be fun.  I had my Mennonite friends save some from Wednesday when they were cutting out a quilt, so the smaller bag is from them.    What fun someone will have with these!



This is a 2" collar I made last week.  It's a celtic trim martingale collar,  that trim isn't made anymore  I'll be listing it on Etsy.  :)   

This is a 1.5" celtic trim martingale collar.  It's a medium and it too will be listed on Etsy. 

This is a 1" flowered trim  collar.  Martingale.  I bought this when Cali was still alive and she looked adorable in it... she was my red brindle and she looked FABULOUS in orange nad the teal was great too!  You KNOW how much I love teal.  :)





Sugar LOVES to lay outside in the sun.  I won't let her when it's 100 degrees out, but in the winter she lays out all the time!  

Lulu prefers to do her laying out in the house on a stack of cushy beds.  When one has 7 dogs, one has many dog beds.  Well, I bought good beds and they are still fine, but I don't need 14 beds spread out all over the house, and didn't want to put them in the shed to store.  So I stack em.  She's very comfy on this stack of 4 or 5 beds!





A friend has asked me to repair a quilt and some shams that she had made.  The one sham is almost destroyed and I'm not even sure I can salvage it at all.  It's not ripped, the seams have shredded.  I will do my best, but the pillow may not fit in when I'm done repairing.  I guess this is a message to all quilters and seamstresses, make sure you use quarter inch seams and don't skimp!!!!

More shredded seams on the sham.

The binding on the quilt is coming apart in many places.  My friend wanted me to re-secure it, but when I measured it, it's only 1.75" wide.  I make my bindings 2.5" wide, that gives me a lot of easy when attaching it and when hand sewing it down.  



I'd say 1/3 of the binding is coming undone where she hand sewed it down.  Most of the binding isn't even attached with a quarter inch seam.


And every single stitch is visible.  When I put on a binding, I hand stitch it down so you cannot see the stitches.  I actually use a stitch that my Mennonite quilting teacher taught me, it's used for upholstering and it's pretty much hidden.
With the binding less than 2" and it sewn on with less than a 1/4" seam in places, I told my friend that it needed to be replaced.  The gal who made the quilt didn't send the extra fabric home with the quilt (paid for by the quilt owner) so there is no matching fabric.  So we went shopping and she picked out a beige color of cotton so I can make new binding.  So I must now tear off all that binding and then wash the fabric, iron it and make new binding, attach binding and then hand sew it down.   It's going to take a while.  And I've learned a HUGE HUGE lesson.  Binding is 2.5" and ALWAYS ALWAYS use a 1/4" seam, never ever skimp!  And if you do skimp, be sure it's where you can do some stitching in the ditch to make sure it doesn't come apart any time soon!!!!

Yesterday was a cold day and I didn't get as much as I wanted to get done.  But it was also the first day in about 2 weeks where I didn't have to get myself up and out of the house at one point or another!  It was wonderful to be lazy and not get started quite so early.

Oh, one more picture.....

I borrowed some needles and I'm trying to knit!  Here's how far I've gone. 
My carpel tunnel was on the rampage the other night, and I thought maybe this was the reason, but alas, I think I forgot to take my ibuprofen  before bed and I forgot to put my brace on until the middle of the night.  Last night was a good carpel tunnel night!  I have no clue what this is except that it is me just practicing using the needles.  Took me a while to figure out how to cast on, looked it up on the internet and decided I don't like videos, I'm old fashioned and want pictures!  So now to figure out something VERY VERY simple to make and to find a pattern for it!  Anyone got some good ideas????  Please???

Alrighty, I want to get some chores done and work on getting that old binding off that quilt (I dread doing that!) so I'm going to get busy now.  Hope you have a wonderful day, and a grand weekend!
God Bless,  Anne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's lots of free patterns at www.knitty.com. I'd suggest a scarf to start with, or if you are really ambitious, a shawl. They rate the difficulty of their patterns.

And I have to say I'm surprised that someone who felt confident enough to make a quilt for your friend would skimp on the fabric. I'm still on "practice" quilts after about 7 quilts and (uncounted) years of sewing, because there's just so much to learn. But not sewing so close to the edge of the fabric is pretty darn basic.