Monday, March 4, 2013

Third installment of my trip to Mexico!

I have really pared down the pictures, but still have a ton.  I'm not sharing many of them when you consider that I have over 400 of them that I kept and re-sized! 

After lunch we headed south to Magdalena to the church Magdalena de Kino where the bones of Fr. Kino are resting.  It was a fairly pleasant drive, lots of curves though, and our priest (who we were following) tends to have a heavy foot, in fact they were calling him Speedy Padilla (his last name.)  Thank goodness we didn't see any speed traps and very few policia.

This mural above was in the town of Magdalena, I thought it was pretty cool!

Basically, around this church is an open air mall and there are lots of religious goodies being
sold there.  As we walked into the mall, this tile caught my eye, it's so beautiful!
You can see down the isle of this part of the mall, no open stores here.
But we turned the corner and a long line of open stores.
I didn't buy anything.  I looked at a lot of things and there were things
I would have liked to have, but money is tight and there was nothing there
that I needed.  And what I REALLY wanted (a large wall rosary with ceramic beads)
they didn't have.  I do kind of wish I had bought something small as a memory though.
 We entered the church from the back, and it's shaped in an L with the long arm of the L
going across the front.  There are 2 altars there, one facing this way towards the side of the church.....

And this altar which faces the front of the church, so you can see it when you walk in the front doors.
It's just beautiful.
The top of the altar.  Just stunning!
The dome has beautiful stained glass windows in it...
Look at those triangle paintings... just lovely!

Isn't it beautiful?

 More stained glass...

 Lovely. 
 More stunning stained glass...
 Our group, I don't do pics, so I'm the one taking the picture!
 There is a little room off to the right of the front of the church. 
There is this moveable
statue laying there and you are supposed to lift him.  If you can't lift him, rumor hasit that your sins are very bad.  And we were all able to lift it. But he was VERY heavy!

The only thing I bought in Mexico was some sweet bread at the bakery in this open air mall. 
It was very good.  Oh, and I bought a coke there as well.  Mexican coke doesn't have  corn syrup in it, it's got plain old sugar in it, yummy!!!

We left this area and headed further into Mexico, heading for Santa Ana to visit Saint Mary of Guadalupe Church.   Mind you, I've been up since about 5:15 am and I'm getting tired.  Lots of walking and riding and I'm pretty stiff, but onward we go!!

Since there are many more pictures, I'll leave the last installment for tomorrow or the next day! 
Hope you are enjoying! 









We've been having some great weather here in Arizona for a change!  It's been in the high 60's and mid 70's during the day and in the 40's during the night.  I'm so glad!





Ok, that's it for the moment, have a great tomorrow!

God Bless,    Anne

6 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Churches are so beautiful. Have you been to Rome or Germany? Even more so. I often take pic of churches when we travel. Interesting, considering I am not religious.

glen

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Churches are so beautiful. Have you been to Rome or Germany? Even more so. I often take pic of churches when we travel. Interesting, considering I am not religious.

glen

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Churches are so beautiful. Have you been to Rome or Germany? Even more so. I often take pic of churches when we travel. Interesting, considering I am not religious.

glen

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow! I must need to be heard! LOL

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Wow! I must need to be heard! LOL

Anne said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed my pictures!!